Area middle and high school students are encouraged to submit entries in the 2019 Daily News Christmas Eve edition greeting card and poetry contests are open for area students in grades 6-8 and 9-12.
Rules for the greeting card contest are as follows:
— Greeting card contest
1. Entries must center around the theme of the Christmas Eve edition. The theme this year is “The Night Before Christmas.”
(a) Entries must be original pen and ink, black line drawing; or felt tip pen if in color on good, sturdy white stock, measuring six inches in width by six inches in depth. The design must be sharp enough to reproduce satisfactorily in the paper. Any border must be within the given dimensions.
(b) The name, initials or insignia of the artist’s school must be incorporated in some way in the greeting card design or message.
© The entry of the first place overall winner will be enlarged to be used as the cover of the Christmas Eve edition. Keep this enlargement idea in mind as you work out your design. Traditionally, the winning design has always included the words of the Christmas Eve Edition theme as part of it.
2. Schools may submit as many entries as they wish, but should ideally submit at least five entries for judging purposes.
Rules for the poetry contest are as follows:
1. Poems should be on a Christmas-related subject — preferably the theme of the Christmas Eve Edition, but poets need not limit themselves to the theme.
2. Any verse form will be accepted. Poems must be original. Sorry, parodies on well-known Christmas poems will not be considered.
3. Poems should be no more than 200-250 words in length.
4. All entries should be typed, double-spaced.
5. Schools may submit as many entries as they wish, but each school should ideally submit at least five poems for judging purposes.
All entries must be received at The Daily News office located at 325 Penn St., Huntingdon, by 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 6.